Clinical psychology is a speciality, which deals with comprehensive mental health and behavioural issues of human beings. There are many specialisations in clinical psychology as family therapy, group therapy, community therapy, training and education, research-oriented practices etc. The range and scope of clinical psychology spread across variety of fields of human interactions. It encompasses people of all ages, diversities, and across-the-board systems.
A clinical psychologist specialises in the following areas;
· Understanding the psychopathology of problems and possibility of interventions.
· Mental health problems of human being across their life span by understanding the psychopathology.
· Assessment of issues with ability to integrate the psychometric test data with standardised assessment outputs.
· Consulting with other general physical health and behavioural interventionists to organise therapeutic planning for severe psychopathology as violence or suicidal ideation etc.
· Engaging in various psychological research methodologies with critical review of knowledge, theorems, science, and methods relevant to clinical psychology.
The major problems clinical psychologists address include;
· Intellectual, psychological, emotional, behavioural, and social maladjustment in humans.
· Mental disability and discomfort causing low quality of life.
· Addressing minor adjustment problems to severe psychopathology.
Various procedures involved in clinical psychology include;
· Assessment – Interviewing, conducting psychometric tests, and doing behavioural assessments.
· Clinical intervention – Services to individuals, family, and groups.
· Consulting – Consulting with various professional practices with other professionals and organisations
· Research – Continuos research and critical review of knowledge, science, and different methods pertaining to the speciality of clinical psychology.
Consulting a clinical psychologist
If you are looking forward to consulting a clinical psychologist, then one need to consider different factors in identifying the apt service provider for you as;
· The license and credentials of the provider.
· Years of experience of the provider.
· Speciality in which they practice and the facilities at the clinic.
· Whether covered under insurance or not.
Explore various options to identify the right kind of provider for your purpose and also check whether you are able to build a good rapport with the provider to get the best results out of the therapy.